When searching online for professional resume services you will see many fancy websites. Some of them flash and jump like the neon lights in New York City. Some will make unsubstantiated claims like “being No. 1”. Some professional resume services will give you meaningless guarantees. Some will say they are certified. Some will actually look like really good options. Some might have cheaper prices than the others.
Your resume is really critical to get right; only an optimised resume with get you the interviews you need, so you need to be very careful in choosing a Professional Resume Service to ensure you get value for money and the resume actually delivers interviews.
Don’t fill in on-line forms.
Many of the fancier sites you will visit ask you to fill in an on-line form. They won’t meet you, interview you and you will have to pay the full amount in advance! This seems like a great business model for them: you do most of the work, there is no risk to them, they can cut and paste material from their data base of resumes into yours and they don’t have to spend an hour with you.
To prove my point, I have seen these CVs and interviewed the clients they were prepared for, in most cases the professional resume they had had written was, at best, generic and at, worst, a blatant cut and paste with material that was totally inapplicable to their client. For example; one CV said the client could speak Spanish but they couldn’t and in fact had never even been to Spain!!
Ask yourself this: if they don’t interview me, how can they provide a customised, powerful and professionally written resume? It is like an employer offering you a job without interviewing you. When did that ever happen?
The Process MIGHT seem similar; but the results will be different.
Even those professional resume writing services that do interview you will deliver varying quality. Last month, I had four people came to me unhappy with the resume they had paid large sums of money to have prepared by some of these professional resume services; they had all had interviews. Their roles were a CFO, a CSM Manager, a Counsellor and an Accountant.
If that is what I see, there must be very many more unsatisfied people out there. One of these people had gone back to the company with valid concerns and was simply fobbed off by the owner; they refused to change the resume. Others had gone back but the writer just didn’t understand what was wrong or how to fix it. Neither of the people actually used these resumes. Having seen these CVs, it has become obvious to me that many “professional resume writers” don’t understand business or even other categories of work like “counselling”.
I rewrote theses four CVs and got the following comments:
Thank you again for your time and expertise to work with me to get my CV just right. My rewritten CV showcased exactly who I am and what an asset I am to a hiring manager. The company I will be working for was very impressed 🙂
The CV read extremely well! Now I can go to market!
When choosing a professional resume service, ask them these questions:
- Will you personally interview me, if not face-to-face, at least by phone or Skype? I will.
- How long will the interview be? It should be a minimum of 45 minutes.
- Will the same person interview me, write my CV and talk it through with me? I will.
- Do I have to pay the full fee up front? Mainly, I work face-to-face and I ask for a deposit at the interview. You only pay the balance when you are happy with the end product at pick-up time. What could be fairer than that?
- Do you understand the role I am aiming at? I have been a professional resume writer for over fifteen years. I have written resumes for clients graduating from university to highly regarded CEOs; from immigrant factory workers to a 3 District Court Judges. I understand technical roles like IT, Medical, Engineering etc. There is hardly a role I haven’t written a professional resume for and if one crops up, I do the research to do an optimal job. Additionally, for 20 years I was in advertising, working on a wide range of businesses. I understand the KPIs the employer wants and I counteract the natural Kiwi urge to be overly humble.
- What if I am unhappy with the resume you write for me? I will talk the CV through with you, based on our interview. If you want something changed and I believe you are weakening your resume, I will tell you that and provide justification. Other than that, I will make any changes you require.
- What percentage of your business comes from referrals? Some of these machine-like professional resume services work on the basis of constantly generating new business through their websites. But do these clients ever refer them to their friends? Do they come back when they are ready to move on again in the future? Over 60% of my business is referral business and over 15 years I have had many clients come back as their career has progressed and they are ready to take another step-up.
Don’t take the risk of spending good money twice. Ask these questions when you call a professional resume company or call Mark at AucklandCV: 021 50 20 93. https://aucklandcv.co.nz/contact-2/